MACKENNA

Saturday, June 12, 2010

6 Hours Later...

Well today has been an interesting day to say the least...

Last night was the beginning of quite the adventure...at about 11:30pm I had a leak occur yet again, then again at 2:45, 4:30 and 6am this morning. I was obviously worried and concerned, so sleep was officially out of the question and I just laid there thinking about what was going on and all the possibilities (aka, am I going crazy, etc). Thankfully, I did finally dose off for awhile and Nate woke me up at 8:20 or so as we had a vet appt with Wrigley at 9:15 and we needed to get up and get going. I wanted to get my oil changed, so Nate went one way and I went the other so we could get both things done as our original plan was to head to Abilene for the day to watch one of Tarleton's recruits that he's been working on.

After talking to my mom, while at the dealership, I decided it was best to call the on call doctor to make sure I wasn't leaking amniotic fluid and get her opinion as to what I should do if anything at all. After talking with the her, she told us to go immediately into Labor and Delivery to get it checked out. Nate got the dog dropped off at home, then came to get me from the car dealership and we headed up to the hospital for what we thought was going to be a quick test and off we went.

We got admitted to a room and they hooked me up with a few monitors...our nurse, Felicia, did a lihtmus test to test the fluid and it was negative, so she then checked for any dialation...she said it was a dimple, which means it was open just a tad, but not enough to be too concerned. She told us to get comfortable and they were going to let me lay there for awhile and she would test again. She came in a little later and did the same test and it too was negative, however, at that point, the one monitor on me was showing contractions every 5-6 minutes. So the on-call doctor told her not to send us home just yet and to do one more test to check the fluid called Amniosure. Once that test came back negative, we figured we'd be sent home, BUT contractions had then gotten to be 2 minutes apart, so they decided to give me a shot which I can't remember what it was called to try and calm my uterus down (it's a smooth muscle relaxer and is used ideally for asthma patients). Whatever it was burned when it went in my arm and then a few minutes later made me extremely jittery, but thankfully not for that long.

At this point it was about 2:30pm and we were both starving as we hadn't eaten since 8:30am and they really didn't want me to eat. Once they gave me the shot, they told me to start chugging water like it was beer as any dehydration could also cause contractions. I got a little light headed as well, so Nate went out to the station and asked if I could eat, and they were hesitant, but thankfully the head nurse ok'd it as she knew we had been there for awhile.

The shot didn't do much for the contractions, so the on-call doctor told our nurse to do one more dose, have me walk around for a bit, then come back and hook up to see if that helped and thankfully it DID! The shots made the munchkin rather active, so it was funny to listen to her on the monitor as each time she moved, it was a loud noise, so with the shots, it was pretty loud for awhile in there. But like we've always said, that sound of her little heart beating NEVER gets old, so it was a little treat to be hypnotized by it for 6 hours today!

We were finally let go at 4:45 this afternoon! We rushed back to town to get my car before 6pm and then sped to Grumps, a local burger place to get our hunger squashed!!!!! SO STARVING! We're home now and going to rest the rest of the weekend. We figure that it definitely wasn't a scare today, but more of a trial run!

We are happy to say we LOVE the hospital, the rooms, the nurses and all that we were able to see today, so we're looking forward to going through everything when it's really time. Now all we need to do is keep close watch to all the signs of real labor over false labor...we learned A LOT today!

We are thankful we didn't have our little girl today, but have to say, we can't WAIT to finally meet her!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. oooooh! scary! Glad all is well. i never had any preterm stuff- mine were content to stay in till the drs yanked them out! lol. Big hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete